Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Hello Dolly

Yeah...this photo definitely warrants an explanation.
First I have to rewind several decades back to my childhood to my cousin’s birthday, when my aunt gave her a really cool doll. The doll was super-cute, but what made it so unique was that when you moved the arm up and down, the doll actually changed expressions and made different faces (you’ll see in a minute.)

Well, my aunt saw how enamored I was with the doll and went to get me one….but there weren’t any left – correction: there weren’t any white ones left…just a black one. Well, she bought it and I loved it. It didn’t matter to me that it was black. It was actually even cuter since the expressions were more noticeable with the dark skin contrasting with the whites of her eyes. (My dad got the biggest kick out the doll, and on many occasions he requested that I find the doll to show company….even into my adulthood!)

Okay, so fast-forward to Gianna as an infant. A lot people happened to comment that she reminded them of a Cabbage Patch Doll and I may have mentioned that I would have to get her one some day. Well, – a few weeks ago, my dad and mom were coming over and wouldn't ya know, my dad announces that there was a sale on Cabbage Patch Dolls and he couldn't resist buying one for Gianna. “Oh,” he says, ”and they only had black ones left.” Déjà vu!

Let me go on record here as saying that I truly have NO problems with my child having two black baby dolls – I just think it is absolutely hysterical that they happen to be her ONLY two baby dolls at the moment. So, I sandwiched her in between the two cuties and I got so tickled thinking that Gianna looked like the filling inside a Double Stuffed Oreo.
As promised, here are a few shots of some the expressions of my childhood doll. And, NO, she doesn't have glaucoma...her eyes are just a little cloudly due to her age....she's almost as old as me! (No smart remarks.) :)

(Above) Ready to give a kiss. (She actually puckers and kisses.)Surprised look to the right..... (remember now, she's opposite from us!)

Surprised look to the left.....

Sleeping baby....Pouting baby....Silly baby...Now doesn't this one just take the cake? (My husband says this one’s a little freaky, but she really is quite adorable.)

4 comments:

  1. That is so funny! I love that story and love that still have the doll for Gianna--and love the Cabbage Patch> I'm on a hunt for my old one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this non-old baby doll missing an arm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! How'd did you teach Gianna to make the " silly baby" face? In the previous post, Giannas silly face resembles the dolls. Ha!

    ReplyDelete

It means a lot that you took the time to leave a message!

Related Posts with Thumbnails