Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our Gerber Girl

As soon as that little face started filling out at about 3 or 4 months old, people start calling Gianna a Gerber Baby. What a face! Now if we could only get a deal with Gerber so we can have college paid for!

Along the same lines, just a few weeks ago (when she turned 6 months old) I began my quasi-ambitious endeavor of making my own baby food. I really liked the idea of preparing healthy food (no preservatives or additives), saving a ton of money, and getting Gianna used to my cooking. A worthy venture, I would say, just not sure if I was more optimistic than realistic.

The first veggie I tried was sweet potatoes. I washed them, peeled them, chopped them, cooked them, pureed them, spooned them into ice cube trays, froze them, popped them into Ziploc bags and stored them in the freezer. It actually tasted really good. Gianna, who has eaten everything we’ve offered her up to this point, didn’t quite share my enthusiasm in this matter. She gagged and choked and glared at me almost as if to accuse me of trying to poison her. Turkey. All that work – out of love - for THAT reaction? Hmph. Oh, and the only way I could get her to eat them was to mix prunes, of all things, with them.

I was a little discouraged after that first day, but really that’s about as rough as it got. So far, I’ve prepared and stored six different vegetables and fruits and she’s doing really well. I’ll always keep a few jarred foods available for convenience sake, but I have to say: I’m actually having fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It means a lot that you took the time to leave a message!

Related Posts with Thumbnails